Friday, November 19, 2010

Finding peace and facing life

Acclaimed 20th century poet/novelist Virginia Wolfe once said that "one cannot find peace by avoiding life". How true. Every now and then, I find myself tangled up at the throes of life, when I'm constantly faced with the inevitabilities of life like losing loved ones, disappointments, failure, heartaches, I feel like running away or  find an escape route.  like any other 'insanely-sane' person would do....I try to run, avoid life..until.......

Three years ago, I took the opportunity to visit an old friend of mine with whom, through the passage of time, I had lost in touch with. Meeting her turned out to be one of those eye-opening,life altering experiences. She portrayed  the picture of a young lady who was full of life and vigor that she seemed to literally 'eat life' and all the while, I kept thinking and asked myself why I couldn't  feel the same as her.
 Here was a young woman, who, at the age of 28, found out that she was infected with the virus and living life as an HIV positive woman. At the first instant, one would have nothing but sheer pity for her but the instant you meet this exuberant  person, you will have second thoughts about your pre-conceived notions. She told me that she is not ashamed to tell people about her status, in fact, she tells me that by denying it only breeds contempt and discrimination. She sets an example for millions of young women around the world to fight the stigma of discrimination against people living with the virus. Today she works for the frontal AIDS organisation in Nagaland, NSACS, joining the millions of people around the world in the global fight against the disease.
As a woman, I go through what every woman goes through.....the mood swings, the untimely headaches, the fear of being misunderstood and being subjugated because I am a woman. As a woman, who has just set foot into her 30's, I do face a quarter-life crisis, living a non-descript life, and so many fears and demons that i have to face every waking moment of my life. Sometimes I feel like running, sometimes I do but when such fears inch their way closer into the peripheries of my countless insecurities, I'm reminded of women like my friend, and many like her, who choose to face life instead of running away from it. It's at those times that I remember and realize what exactly Virginnia Wolf was tryin to say about finding peace and facing life...

No comments:

Post a Comment